Thursday, April 24, 2008

Arrrgggg, what's in the bag one-eyed Jack???

Here is a list of what items are in my bike bags.

Front Left Pannier: Cooking/Food Supply
Whisperlite International cookstove (operates on white gas, kerosene, or unleaded fuel)
Fuel bottle for stove
fork/spoon wrapped in an old sock and tied with rubberband to prevent rattling while riding
Some food and energy gels, etc
Medium cookpot with lid: I got a $12 aluminum cheapy from REI
Lighter and waterproof matches (backup)
old school tiny can opener
various wipes (keep'n it clean makes good hygiene)

Front Right Pannier: Bike-Related Items
2 spare tubes wrapped in socks to protect a bit
chain lube
presta/schraeder valve adapter (so I can fill tires at a gas station instead of pump)
saddle cream (to prevent a sore behind)
hose clamps and zip ties (odd recommendations as items for roadside fixes)
electrical tape (again, same reasoning)
Brookes saddle kit
sewing kit
Bright safety vest (yes, Mom)
Spare brake and deraileur cable
2 extra chain links
a tire pressure gauge
an extra water bottle (besides the 3 on the bike)
tire pump
tire levers
multitool
patch kit
extra pair of biking gloves
some reflective rope
duct tape wrapped on a broken pencil
a repair splint for my tent should I need it
tiny towels that expand as water is absorbed
bike lock
shoe covers in case I ride in rain
arm warmers for riding in cooler temps
light wind jacket
Novara Stratos lightweight rain coat (waterproof as I learned my "water resistent" lesson a long time ago)
REI Ultralight rain pants (again, waterproof)

Real Left Pannier: Camping Gear
Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 Tent (2-person lightweight tent, 2.5 pounds)
Mountain Hardwear Phantom 45 Sleeping Bag (super compressible, and 1 pound down-filled)
Big Agnes Air Core sleep pad (2.5 inches of air-filled comfort keeping me off the ground)
A tiny little whisk broom to keep the tent clean
a reading book
bungee cords (in case I win that big stuffed bear at the County Fair I may run into)
a roll of velcro (for repairs as they may occur or patching the bear)
first aid kit (frighteningly called "wound closure kit", ugh)
biodegradeable camp soap
insect repellent
sunscreen
earplugs
icy hot (or similar) for aching muscles
a small amount of laundry detergent in a ziplock
and toiletry bag

Rear Right: Clothes
2 cycling jerseys
2 loose thin jersey type shirts
1 light thin breathable collared shirt for the unexpected County Fair (you gotta dress to win the bear)
1 light windjacket for cycling
1 light sweatshirt made for running (when I realize that bear on the back of my bike is not stuffed)
1 pair of awesome Mtn Hardwear pants that convert to shorts
3 pairs of thin breathable white socks
1 pair of thicker socks (for cool nights?)
1 pair of sandals
1 pair of light trail shoes
3 pair of black cycling shorts

Handlebar bag
camera/charger/memory cards
"wallet" (typically rubber band wrapped bills)
Edge605 GPS Unit for Cycling (cleverly protected in a 99-cent plastic soapdish) & charger
a really big knife
lip balm
cellphone & charger
USB sticks to save photos from camera when finding a computer, as well as charity presentation
the Adventure Cycling Association maps from start in FL to finish in CA
Ipod/headphones/charger/tiny speakers
a really big knife
Green Bay Packers (of course) baseball cap
journal
passport (in case Mexico hills are recommended instead of the East San Diego nightmares)/ID
a really big knife
key to bike lock and handlebar bag (yep, it locks to the bike)
mutiple-lens sunglasses
very small cheap leatherman type tool I will be surprised if it makes it to the end having thought it already broke in Europe, but amazed to see it's resurrection.

What Ever Shall I Wear???
helmet
helmet mounted rearview mirror
bike shoes
socks
jersey
cycling shorts
loose green soccer type shorts (for getting off the bike and walking into a diner, store, etc)
a sweat-absorbing bandana type thing
and gloves

Well, there ya go.
That is quote a list.
You may be thinking, geez, does he really need all that stuff???!!!!
There are many great resources on the web for packing for a ride like this. I started with their list and added a few items I may choose to quickly discard as the mountains approach. As for Florida, it looks like 100-200 feet elevation change for the first few days, so I am fine.
You can also pack your bags in a different way trying to keep the weight balanced on both sides of the bike. I like some logic to how I pack my bags so I tried to "assign tasks" for each bag.

My next task... get the bike and then get some naptime. Tomorrow I shove off.

5 comments:

Mike said...

Dan thanks for the list. I'll print it off and start packing. I bought my front racks and fenders from REI. I'm getting the tires next. When should I leave? Keep me posted and have fun! Mexico?

Mike said...

Dan, I think the tiny little whisk broom puts you over the weight limit. Dump it man, so you can keep all three really big knives.

Good luck, have fun!
Big hug, Melissa

Todd said...

I didn't see clean underwear on the list. Your mother would not approve. Good luck!

Mike said...

Nice work on you first day out!!

Great to chat with you to. I'm looking forward to getting on the road and meeting up with you. I got out on my bike today.

I checked your other blog, but it said you had no published postings. I thought you added stuff today?

Keep on rollin'

-Mike

Anonymous said...

damn - I need to improve my English - I thought it was a motorcycle kind of bike you were going to ride :P woops.. Im not so good at the geography in the US either, but I know it's a big country and that I probably could compare your trip to a trip all over my country! Good luck - Lykke til - Have a nice trip!!