Sunday, April 27, 2008

East Palatka, FL to Gainesville, Fl (59 miles)

Saturday April 26, 2008

I woke up at 6:30am and got out of the tent by 7:00am.
After doing some chores left from dinner last night, I packed up my tent and other gear inside.
After I got that to a reasonable point, I started the cookstove for oatmeal and packed my bags further while the water boiled. After eating, I finished packing, lubed the chain on my bike, and got going out of camp at 8:30am.

Most of the road was shady this morning. It was great! It made for an enjoyable start supplemented by occasional waves and shouts from what are likely some pretty poor people sitting outside watching traffic. I remember these people from when I lived in the South. They are nice folks with no money to do anything else but watch. So they would wave or shout "Where ya heading?" and shout again when I said "San Diego". Each time that happened, I would get goosebumps and my speed would increase for a moment. (And drop back almost imemdiately after.)

At 10:30am I stopped at Florahome, FL on Hwy 100. I got more drinks and snacks. Seemed I was doing well with 20 miles down and 30 more to go as I thought. After a 20 minute rest, I left to continue down the road. After another 10 miles, I stopped n the shade to rest since it felt so hot out here. It had to be 85 at least, maybe more on the asphalt. Because of the rolling hills, I could feel my quads working slightly more than yesterday. Nothing serious, but noted.

I stopped in Melrose for lunch. I saw Carla's Deli which looked inviting at Noon-ish. After Carla saw the bike and asked a few questions, she immediately asked me to take their phone number down and call when I got to San Diego so they knew I made it ok. They set me up with Un-sweet Tea in one of my water bottles and put ice in the other two and said they would be watching the blog. Hi to the good folks at Carla's Diner. Thanks for the great burger and for being so kind!!!

Once to Hawthorne, utopia arrived. It goes by the name of Hawthorne, Gainesville Trail and can be described as a green wooded trail only for pedestrian traffic and bikes separated from any roads. It is part of the Rails & Trails program that Florida has embraced so well. There I met Jim & Kathy. Jim is a bicycling enthusiast and was asking about my panniers as he and his wife Kathy sometimes go out on bikes together. It was nice meeting both of them and provided for a longer break than I would've given myself so that was appreciated. Other folks on the trail included families biking together since it is a Saturday after all, as well as girls rollerblading. Twice I offered to stop with a first aid kit since a little girl fell off her bike, and then what was likely a Gainesville college girl fell on Rollerblades. As long as I get to my destination before dark, I am fine with pit stops. Though I may have to rethink the best time to travel as the heat winds up through summer. Earlier starts and maybe some evening riding will be my approach.

Arrived at Zen Hostel in Gainesville. The pklace is unique. Outside are the Tibetan flags I have seen in pictures from mountaintops, an odd outside shower on the deck, and only a handful of residents (some long term, some not). It is probably not where i would normally stay but it was quiet and that is what I needed. After a shower, some laundry, I went to Quizno's and got a big steak sandwich. Then i got gelato and ate it on the way to find drinks. I got drinks for tomorrow from a crackhead foodstore at 4th Ave and Main.

TV crew from ABC Channel 20 supposed to arrive at 9am Sunday to interview me at the hostel.

started riding: 8:30am
ended riding: 5:30pm
time biking: 5:15:57
miles: 58.57
average speed: 11.12
calories: 4,629

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

4,000 calories a day? Sign me up! You're so inspiring, Dan. Be safe & have fun. PS-great blog