Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Ichetucknee Springs Family Grocery & Campsites

Monday April 28, 2008

I didn't sleep so well in the tent. I am still getting used to my setup. At home I have pillows positioned just right for a good nights rest. In tent world, I haven't quite figured out the right setup yet. I noticed when I put my head down that I could hear my pulse. That happens when you put your head down just right, but mine seemed faster than normal. I think i counted 84 bpm though I am not sure how that compares to my normal lethargic heart rate.

As morning came, I decided today was going to be a rest day!
I had listened for rain all night. Nothing.
A few drops after a while, but nothing serious.
By 9:30am I was up and eating breakfast: Powerade, cold cereal (Corn Pops) with water (because the market up front only had milk in gallon size jugs), peanut butter sandwiches, and granola bars. I used the time to write in my journal and watch the squirrels chace eachother. I even thought I saw a red cardinal but when I snapped a photo and zoomed in, it was a parrot. The only other guest at the campground was leaving for Jacksonville today, so it would be just me out here.

I took the advice of Vernus and Elaine, the campground owners, and went to visit the Ichetucknee Springs across the street. Man, was that cool! The spring that gets the most attention is known as Blue Hole Spring and it is beautiful. After doing a little hiking, seeing canoers go by on the river, I deicded I had to jumpo in the Spring. Yikes. 72 degrees. Thgis is not like my 104-degree hottub back home. But had to try it, and may likely live forever if this was the place Ponce de Leon was actually looking for (so I got that going for me)!

Today was a slow day filled with anticipation of riding again. I was excited to keep going, and uncertain of my decision to rest today since there were only off and on showers. These showers were, however, Florida-style and not the mist we get in San Diego occassionally. Probably made the right choice to stay.

One word about the campground. I stayed at Ichetucknee Springs Family Grocery & Campsites. They have cabins as well. The place is really beautiful. Owners Vernus and Elaine have done a great job with it, and I hope business picks back up for them.

No comments: