Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Gainesville to Ichetucknee Springs State Park near Fort White (46 miles)

Sunday April 27, 2008

I woke up early and got everything ready to go. The TV people from Channel 20 ABC from Gainesville did not show until almost 10am. Gavin, the reporter, did the interview. It went smooth and easy and would result in a couple short clips that would air at 6pm and 11pm newstimes. Oddly enough, Gavin just interviewed for a job in Wisconsin and hopes to get it. We talked about diversity in the Madison area since Gavin is black and has a southern accent. He was encouraged by our discussion and soon I left the hostel.

Gainesville at 10:30am is not the time to be heading out on your bike for a 50 mile ride. Despite the warm temperatures, I felt fine given the fact I take a break every hour and get off and stretch. It also helped that it was partly cloudy so it kept the scorching sun to a minimum.

After close to 30 miles, I was just about out of available fluids on my bike but was so glad to find a single oasis known as "Vics". Vics is a bait & tackle shop/gas station/quickmart/weekday kitchen, etc. As I rolled up and inquired as to the tremendous ice sales I saw going on, I was told everyone was heading to the spring or the lake. Have at it, people! Sounds pretty nice!

I went inside and got a drink and snacks. Not ready to leave I hung out inside and talked with a guy behind the counter named Bob. He worked Sundays alone and saw many regular customers. Some he knew well, others not so well. One fella in particular barely walked in and Bob simply asked "how many today?" as he reached up and put his hand on this mans preferred brand of cigarettes without looking. The man, unshaven all weekends, responded with "one" and seconds later, I am guessing he was off to the lake. I sat down in a spare chair and between visitors, Bob and I got to talking. He explained that the sign I was reading "sausage pancake on a stick" is kinda like a corn dog, and he laughed as he said it. Vicsa reminded me of a "Sack-o-s..s...ss...sssSuds" place from the movie "My Cousin Vinny" except no Tempest or Buick Skylark with posi-traction.

Bob had told me before I left, after learning my route was to include a village of 3,600 people called High Springs, that it would be busy up there because High Springs was having their Pioneer Days this weekend and the shootout would be at 2pm. Aftyer biking the 5 miles left to get to High Springs, I saw the main street in town lined with vendor tents, and many people (for a town this size) walking around. After strolling the street a bit, I heard gunfire. The shootout? I wandered over to have a look. Sure enough. The shootout can be summed up as this: a group of peopel chose sides, they argue a bit, they show no sign of compromise, they find their way to opposite sides of the available space, and they shoot at eachother. They stop and verify that the other side is not willing to give up yet, and then they shoot some more. Classic theater.

I was hungry and didn't want vendor food despite the boyscouts funnel cakes for $4. So I found signs that said AC, Bathrooms, BBQ.... hmmmm, assuming the Bathrooms were a lure for people like me and had no real connection to the BBQ, I had found my place to eat. It was run by the Ladies Group of High Springs. I ate well and talked with a few of the ladies while there. They had taken interest in my ride across the US for charity: water and would discuss it when they met next. After excellent BBQ and baked goods, I left and hit the road destined for Fort White.

I was told there was a rails to trails path along US 20/27 between High Springs and Fort White. I looked for it, but could not find it. After looking a few times, I decided I was spending more time looking than just taking the highway, so I did. Rolling into Fort White I saw cars with their lights on approaching me and dark skies ahead. Not a good sign. Racing at a speedy 11mph, I found my way to Ichetucknee Springs State Park and stayed at Ichetucknee Family Grocery and Campsites.

I got there in time to set up camp in daylight, eat some peanut butter sandwiches, and go to bed. I was told the chance for rain the next day was 70% and severe storms. I was pretty convinced I would take a rest day tomorrow when I fell asleep.

started riding: 10:35am
ended riding: 5:45pm
time biking: 3:54:45
miles: 45.52
average speed: 11.63
calories: 3,410

No comments: