Thursday, May 15, 2008

Amite, LA to Baton Rouge, LA (50 miles)

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Awake at 5am and glued to the weather channel. Having just found out the storms in Baton Rouge are now due in after noon and morning forecast is simply clouds, I did a little celebration dance while eating nuked pizza and drinking Coke from the night before.

Today would be a focused day of riding without unnecessary stops or chitchats I am afraid. With an Immodium and Phazyme in my belly to chase the pizza and reduce potential stops, I left the hotel at 7:15am. As I was leaving, a little Indian boy, the son of the owners, was sad because he was sick and had to go to school. He stood with his grandma as the bus approached, while his mother explained to me that he wanted ice cream, but she wouldn’t let him because ice cream makes the sickness worse. Recalling huge heaps of ice cream I used to see my Dad serve himself over apple pie my grandma (aka Granny) made, I also recalled my Dad was rarely sick. Not sure there was truth to the ice cream/sickness relationship explained to me, I pedaled off down State Road 16.

Montpelier was the first community I biked through, only waving to a couple fellas hanging out on the loading dock type entrance of the coop.

In Pine Grove, I stopped at the only NAPA store I have ever seen that sells groceries. “We have to.” the lady behind the counter said, “We’re in the middle of nowhere.”

At a truck stop in Dennis Mills area, the friendliest thing I encountered despite the multiple employees there, were the Oreos I purchased along with Vitamin water. Too bad unfriendly employees shape my opinion so quickly, but with limited experiences in each community on this trip, each one counts.

Watson is definitely the largest town on Highway 16. Negotiating shoulder room due to road work, I made it through just fine. Resting for a moment on the roadside where a trucker was tying down heavy equipment before heading off, I recovered from the stress that “road work ahead” can mean as a bicyclist. As the trucker started heading off, he threw me a wave. A little further down the road, another man pushing his single speed bike on flat terrain asked me questions about where I was heading having witnessed the packed bike I ride. “You sure must have strong legs” he said. “Stronger everyday”, I replied with a smile knowing Florida was my training ground and I was still in training today in Louisiana.

Following directions provided by the GPS, I crossed the Amite River via busy and virtually shoulderless Greenwell Springs Road, followed by Sherwood Forest Road, where I felt lower back tightness starting to make itself known. Years back, a doctor suggested lower back surgery, and I avoided it with some successful physical therapy. A week before the trip, I had another low back “incident” (yeah, Mom, I never told you about that one). I have the dope I need (along with time I don’t want to take) to fix those issues if they get bad, but I took a timeout to stretch with the bike leaned against a Jack in the Box drive through sign. Committing to a slower easier pace the remaining 7 miles, I made it in record time from Amite, LA to Hilltrace Avenue in Baton Rouge, where I met Phil the father of Lauren’s daughter-in-law, as well as Chester, who I seem to recall is Ron’s brother. 50 miles from Amite, LA to Baton Rouge by 12:15pm and no rain. 15 minutes into a chat with Phil and Chester while we were inside, I was watching rain come down outside! Good timing, I thought.

A quick Subway lunch, followed by heaping plate loads of food at a Country Club buffet at night that Lauren and Ron treated me to, and I think my calorie count was replenished. I can’t say enough about the hospitality of Lauren and Ron. A great place to sleep, do laundry, a stocked fridge, and use of their computer. They are truly two great examples of southern hospitality!

Start: 7:19am
End: 12:15PM
On bike: 3:41:10
Mileage: 50.36
Calories: 3,762
Avg speed: 13.66 mph
Max speed: 25.14 mph
Flat terrain the whole way
Temp: 72-80F, high humidity

No comments: