Friday, May 9, 2008

Pensacola, FL to Fairhope, Alabama (50 miles)

Thursday May 8, 2008: Ride #11

Rising at 4:30am, I got my things together and Ashley inistsed on taking me to the west side of Pensacola. He assured me on the ride I would see why. He was right. The roads were under construction and the shoulders were non-existent. It would've been a brutal start to the day, especially when it was already 80% humidity when we left his house at 6:00am.

Starting near the Perido Bridge in Pensacola, I said goodbye to my friend Ashley and headed out. Not bad for several miles as the winds were light, but the forecasts said they would be increasing to 20-25mph by noon.

I crossed into Alabama at 7:55am. Just as I figured I was close, I began to look for some familiar places or the Alabama sign. I recognized the FloraBama bar and knew I was atop the state line. The welcome to Alabama sign was covered by a "Motorcycle Parking" sign right across from the famous FloraBama bar which sits on the beach exactly on the Florida/Alabama border, but from the right angle I got the photo that I deserved after completing Florida.

Riding into Alabama was exciting since I lived on the gulf coast in Mobile for a couple years and this area was our playground. Even people who do not live near here may have heard of the FloraBama bar since it is the topic of a few Jimmy Buffet songs, and home of the Interstate Mullet Toss, which took place April 26th this year, so I just missed it. Read about it here:
http://www.florabama.com/Special%20Events/Mullet%20Toss/mullet_toss_faq.htm

Facing some increased winds as I was heading due west, I pedaled on. A few miles up, I knew I needed a better look at the beautiful white sand beaches I remembered, so I went to the beach side of the road and crossed into a preserved park area and took a shot of the bike near the sand.

Many a cold beer had been drank on this beach at one time in my past, as well as hearing stories of how my friend Chris' buddy Tab, an oversize guy at the time, wore his regular swimming trunks into the water and emerged with only skin-exposing tiny speedos on. Or oggling at the Alabama girls with their bronze skin and tiny bikinis. Still remembering some of their names, I pedaled on, but being here again felt great!

Orange Beach, Alabama is the name of the first community you reach heading west into Alabama. It is comprised of many a sea-side rental and vacation house, and plenty of hurricane-risk-taking hotels and condos.

Just past Orange Beach, I reached Gulf Shores with more of the same good memories. The winds were getting to be pretty strong, but the desire to see what memories existed up ahead kept me pushing harder. Once I reached Alabama Highway 59, I went north crossing the Intercoastal Waterway. After battling the wind while biking west and climbing a bit up the Intercoastal Waterway bridge, I thought I earned the reward of a photo from there.

Continuing by resisting further photo distractions, I made amazing time into Foley as the winds were coming from the southwest. I raced into Foley, stopping there to refill on drinks once I was near Highway 98.

Heading west on Highway 98 I again faced the brutal and pace-killing winds. Fortunately I had adjusted my seat and handlebars days ago to what seemed the most comfortable positions, and I just hunkered down for a while, dropping gears as needed due to the wind. At Magnolia Springs, I saw a gas station/foor store that would've seemed odd had I not began this trip almost 2 weeks ago. There I got off the bike, and at near 90-degree and 80% humidity conditions, just sat with my back against the wall of the store for a while, just staring at the blue gas pumps and canopy, and watching the nearby tree braches get tossed in the wind and the clouds flying by. I needed this relaxation station more than a drink refill, but to thank the store owner for being there, I went in and bought yet another Powerade.

At the Scenic 98/ Highway 98 split, I stopped again due to the work required to battle today's winds. I went into the Shell store and as I bought a snack and drink, I heard the register attendent tell me about how she was raising a girl and afraid one day, if she allows her to hang out with the wrong type, she will come home with a tattoo and a belly button piercing. Um, considering where I live and how it is almost impossible to find a girl without those features, I wasn't able to generate any sincere sympathy.

Heading on Scenic 98, the rewards to the effort today became apparent. In Point Clear, some of the most beautiful southern beach houses are found. Seriously gorgeous places. Biking further north with little effort as the winds were shielded by trees, I reached my old residence in Fairhope at 210 Mobile Street. I pulled in laughing out loud that I reached this place on a bike I began pedalling from the Atlantic Ocean. I remembered riding a bike from Fairhope to Point Clear and back when I had lived here and thinking I got a good workout. For old times sake I trespassed and took a few photos from the dock where I remembered reading Moby Dick on a Sunday afternoon years ago.

Knowing I was near my destination for the day, I punched into my GPS the address of Stephen & Renee Davis. 1.2 miles to go! Whoo hoo. Stephen & Renee were once the neighbors of a University of Alabama buddy of mine, Chris, and his wife Amy. Although Stephen & Renee had moved since I lived here, I had contacted them with my plans to come visit after an 8 year hiatus. A few good rolling hills later, I arrived at Mile 583 of the trip, at Stephen & Renee's house, drenched in the humidity-produced sweat, and like clockwork Stephen opened the front door with a big welcoming smile and a loaned fresh t-shirt. A quick shower, some tales of the road, lunch with a long lost friend Carl Williams, and it was obvious I had forgotten how much I liked these folks. That fact became more clear once Renee came home, their kids ran around the house, and my buddy Robert arrived to meet me and take me back to his house where I would rest, drink beer like years ago, and eat crawfish and oysters for the weekend.

Stephen & Renee have their gorgeous 2,500-sf house for sale. Although Renee's look vetoed the deal Stephen & I had quickly made upon my arrival: his house for my bike and the ability to ride the country for 2 months, I could imagine living here again. I simply think differently than I did 8 or 10 years ago when I lived here before. I see now more than ever how the town of Fairhope is an Alabama jewel complimented by the great friends I have made.

start time: 7:22am
end time: 2:00pm-ish
time on bike: 3:46:47
miles: 49.55
avg speed: 13.11
max speed: 32.88
temp/conditions: 87 degrees, 80% humidity, strong winds from SW at up to 20 mph
calories: 3,640

3 comments:

Mike said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! Florida is toast!

It must feel nice to be in another state. Especially with good friends. Enjoy the much deserved weekend rest.

I just booked a camp site at San Onofre for next weekend. Melissa and I will ride up there on Sat, stay the night and return on Sunday. It's 55 miles each way, and I'll be carrying all our gear. Should be good training.

Keep up the good work!

Leilan McNally said...

Congrats on getting through FL. Good luck on the next leg. A friend of Matt O from WIS

Anonymous said...

Excellent...as you describe, LA was everything I remember. Good food and great frieds.

Forecaddy