Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Bonifay, FL to Crestview, Fl (56 miles)

Tuesday May 6, 2008: Ride #9

I was up between 5:30am and 6:00am. Clothes that I washed in the sink the night before were dry for the most part. Tried to get breakfast from the restaurant next door, but get this...
as I walked up, a girl with an apron was dropped off by a pickup truck, later found to be "Kevin". She stood outside the door, and I asked when do you open? She told me they were supposed to open now, but ever since Kevin went to bike week in Panama City last weekend he can't find his key to open up, and Steve, the other guy with a key, doesn't get up until noon. She pointed to a neighboring motel room with a Harley parked next to it and told me "that's Steve's place right there." Smirking at the situation since this is not how business where I am from gets done, I asked "how long before Kevin is back?" She responded "I don't know. I am not sure where he lives. I guess it would be the amount of time needed for him to drive home, find the key, and drive back." Gee, I should've thought of that. She added "But I am still getting paid right now because I'm here on time." Hysterical. I went back to the room and made oatmeal, but I noticed when I started pedaling at 7:15am that Kevin must've found the key or Steve woke up early because the restaurant was open.

As I biked out of Bonifay, I crossed the Chocktawhatchee River.

A little further I met Franz and Jan from Holland biking east on Highway 90. We met in a rolling hill area. They took holiday to bike in the US. They started in Phoenix and once they reach St. Augustine they intend to head north along the Atlantic. They travel 60 miles a day and stay in motels mostly. They told me they never thought they would see someone heading west so late toward summer. Yeah. I had heard that before, and thought of it myself. I am definitely late. If I make it, well then the success will be more significant. If I don't, then timing of a trip like this should be the first lesson to takeaway. After my new Holland friends to go visit Vernus at Ichetucknee Springs, we parted.

Rolling hills ahead and flat roads behind after I met those two. I have been following Highway 90 yesterday and today, with more to come. Defuniak Springs, FL was the treasure on the route so far. A super cute, very charming town complete with restored train station, bandshell, nicely restored homes, with a beautiful park surrounding Lake Defiuniak. Defuniak Springs was significant for me because it meant I had completed 1 of the 7 maps that detail the Southern Tier route I am following. That means I have 6 to go. I get a boost from things like crossing a time zone, completing a map, or finishing a State (soon). It seems I look for motivation just about anywhere since already this trip has gotten it's lonely stretches, maybe due to the fact the finish is just so far off.

So how is the bike seat? Well, it is breaking in... slowly.
After talking with Audrey last night, she recommended using excessive amounts of powder to "keep things dry down there". Having only Gold Bond Extra Medicated Powder, I used what I had. Pedaling around Lake Defuniak, I swear my butt was on fire for a few moments. I knew the rage of Gold Bond would subside in a few minutes, and after that, it felt oddly refreshing.

It was only 10:30am when I left Defuniak Springs. Too early for lunch I thought. I wanted to be done with today's ride before eating. Maybe I could make it to the town of Mossy Head before I got lunch? After 10 or so miles of Highway 90 and reaching Mossy Head (named by the railroad folks I am told), a woman at the gas station told me she saw 10 cyclists come through on Monday heading west. Hmmm... I am not far behind. I left Mossy Head at 12:15pm or so, still not having taken lunch, and made it to my destination, Crestview (popln 15,000 I think). At a Tom Thumb gas station just inside town, I was calling motels when a woman named Sally who was using the payphone began talking with me. She took interest in the ride and said she was impressed with what I was attempting. We talked about the charity, gas prices, etc. After telling her I would not complain about gas prices since I now have this experience of self-propelled transportation, she told me a story.

She lived between Mossy Head and Crestview in a 12-yr old home she bought new. The house is about 1/4 mile from the railroad tracks. She can tell when the train is loaded down, mostly around holiday time in the past, because the house shakes. But these days, the house shakes all the time as the train passes and it is likely due to additional weight being carried that trucks might otherwise have carted across the nation. Interesting perspective related to high gas prices!

In Crestview, on my way to the chosen motel, I stopped at CVS and got some non-medicated, simply soothing baby powder. Checking into the Crestview Inn on Highway 90, the Indian woman told me it was nothing fancy, but clean. Asking for a room with a refirgerator, she put me in Unit 103 right next to her place since it was the only one with a refrigerator. It was only $42, but it beat the place in Bonifay by a long shot, and was nice. After dragging myself off the bed and getting in a shower, I went to McDonalds at 3:30pm. By 6:30pm, I walked across the street to Coach-n-Four, a restaurant Sally recommended for the best steak in town. Totally right (as far as I know, since I only had this one steak in town). But it was seriously tasty, and would provide a good catalyst for some good rest tonight.

start time: 7:13am
end time: 2:15pm
ride time: 4:15:17
miles: 55.78
avg speed: 13.11 mph
max speed: 30.90 mph
calories: 4222
elevation: rolling up to around 268 feet

1 comment:

Mike said...

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the updates.

I bought a 26T chainring yesterday, but realized I need to take off the crank to get it on. Have you ever removed a crank?

Keep up the good work and blog entries. Hopefully you can catch that group in front of you.

-Mike