Sunday, June 8, 2008

Deming, NM to Lordsburg, NM (61 miles)

Sunday June 8, 2008

Remember Floyd Landis in the 2006 Tour de France??? He was making his way to the top of the leader chart until tanking badly only a couple days before the end. Most people counted him out. The following day was a miraculous ride. He blew everyone away that day and won the 2006 Tour de France. So miraculous it was nearly unbelievable, and lead to drug testing and eventual stripping him of the title months after the Tour was over. (NOTE: Floyd was framed. I could go on and on about how steroids work, how one must take them for a period of time to see any benefit, and how all previous tests were negative prior to a positive result from the French lab after yet another American won the Tour following retirement of Lance Armstrong.)

Anyway, I didn't win the Tour today, but it was a nice recovery from the near heat exhaustion finish I had yesterday. Instead of steroids I used Endurolytes, which helps to restore your body's electrolytes when working out in heat. Another 94 degree day today by the time I finished, so I was glad to have them (and this time use them).

The day began with a little continental breakfast talking with Cecilia, the desk lady at Day's Inn in Deming, NM. Cecilia told me about her son and how he may be moving to San Diego. At first supportive, then I learned more about her son. He is 17 and works in construction. He has a girlfriend and two kids with her. Wha??? Yep. Cecilia attributes it to "nothing to do in Deming". I think it is time to build a bowling alley or something. I then chose to reverse my supportive angle citing a couple friends who have moved from San Diego because it is difficult to get ahead there. I suggested she try to get her son to reconsider.

After a danish and cereal, I hit the road at 6:20am. It was cold, so I wore my arm warmers. Actually wore them all day as I rode 60 miles to Lordsburg. Interstate 10 is flat in this area, and stops only includes a Rest Area at mile 22 or so, the Continental Divide at mile 35, and then the finish.

Not alot to say today. This blog entry was more exciting than my ride today. Interstate travel is boring in a car and 10x as boring on a bike.

Many thanks to Pearl Jam, Art Brut, Son Volt, and the many others who made today tolerable. It was the first day I used my IPOD to listen to music. I knew I was saving it for something, and since I haven't seen too many dogs on Interstates, today was perfect for it.

ride stats later...

1 comment:

Ken S said...

Stay cool in the heat. I've found as I've gotten older I can't ride in it for long or my whole day becomes one of miserable pain.

Also I wanted to say that I don't think Floyd's stage 17 ride was all that miraculous. A very good ride yes, but also lots of mistakes by the other riders. If you've never read it, I found this post to be pretty good. http://pelotonjim.wordpress.com/2007/03/08/another-look-at-that-stage/

I've also thought that anyone who says you can't have a really good day after a really bad day can't really ride all that much to be able to believe that.

Ken