Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Rest Day in Sanderson, TX

Sunday June 1, 2008

I didn't do much today. I DID notice my mood was greatly improved waking up and knowing I could stay put. These rest days are so useful! Not just resting the body but my mind, too.

The house I am staying in is a cute cottage style place, and has no TV. But it is great. Without TV, I am listening to my IPOD music on the IPOD stereo furnished here, and I am planning my route. Right now, if my plans stays intact, I should arrive into Phoenix June 15th. It feels good to have more than the route to El Paso planned, especially when, once again, I will be going off the ACA route.

So, I heard from Sally who was talking to Jessie who is Billy Sue's cousin, that Dairy King (not Queen) would be open today. Finding places open on Sundays is difficult out here, so I was excited. I was told Dairy King opens at 2pm on Sunday. After more than a few crossings of Sanderson Canyon on my bike to check, I found the real deal is that they are open from 11:30am until 2pm, and then 5pm to 8:30pm. These are the King's hours by which you must abide.

A cute little place, nothing special, but an OK burger, onion rings, and vanilla malt. The King had pictures of all his family members taped to the wall and window by the cash register. A Mexican family, so the window was nearly covered.

When I was out looking for open businesses, I met a man at the market. "We never know when SHE is going to be open. She has odd hours" people have said about the lady at the Market. I get the feeling she isn't well liked. But as I sit on a bench outside the store in 100 degree heat drinking my cold orange Crush, a short 50-ish mexican man says hello. The usual exchange about weather took place, and as his english broke down, we replaced the english words with spanish. It reminded me of my nephews in Mexico City creating a language all their own as they learned both English and Spanish. In any case, the man talked to me about my ride, and then told me that he plans to do something similar soon. He explained "you see, I was sick with a bad back. I told God that if he fixed my back, I would walk 120 miles" (to some area attraction I forgot). "He fixed my back, so now I gotta walk" he said. HE further explained he plans to have a support vehicle behind him so he can get a drink, etc. and that he will choose a cooler time to fulfill his promise. I hope he doesn't hurt his back with all that walking.

No comments: