Friday, June 6, 2008

El Paso, TX to Las Cruces, NM (48 miles)

June 6, 2006

I woke at 5am with the intention to get pedaling by 6:30am. Again, morning activities take a while. You have to take advantage of the availability of a bathroom (more than once), pack the bags because you need stuff from them until time to go, prep breakfast (oatmeal, mmmm), do the bike check (tire air pressure, etc), then load the bike (and this takes some developed skills considering I am still lugging the 3L of extra water on the rear rack). Oh yeah, and then go use the bathroom again.

Getting out of El Paso wasn't much fun. Since yesterday was essentially a rest day, the hills on Mesa Street in El Paso were punishing. I knew it would be a flat ride from El Paso to Las Cruces, but within El Paso there are some hills. I am getting familiar with my smallest chainring up front rather than work my knees and legs harder than necessary in the second or third chainrings. Moving slowly but steadily up one hill in El Paso, I had a short exchange with a girl sitting at the bus stop. I said "slow mover, eh?" Her response: "Yep."

I found my way into New Mexico at 8am Mountain Time. (That's right: MOUNTAIN TIME. I am only one time zone away from being back drinking beers with my peeps in San Diego.) Following Hwy 28 to Las Cruces, there was a lot of agriculture along the way: flooded pecan orchards (I had no idea they do that), onion fields (never had I seen so many onions planted and I grew up on a produce farm), vineyards with tempting wine tastings, and a strange animal known as the alpaca (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpaca). As I was staring at the alpaca, an El Paso couple, Don and Grace, on bikes rolled up to me. "Now answer the question you've answered for everyone else so far" Don said, "where did you start and where are you going?" I responded "Florida to California." "Ah, the Southern Tier" he said knowingly. Clearly I am back on the Adventure Cycling Association route for the day and so people are wise to the route. Tomorrow will be different as I dodge the mountains and instead head to Deming.

Following Hwy 28 with some foresight of what I would see thanks to Don. After the tiny town of San Miguel, pecan trees lined both sides of the road. Picturesque is all I could think at the time. Such a sight could only be complimented by... oh yeah, there it was, Stahmann's store specializing in pecan candies, ice cream, and coffee. A couple treats later, I got back on the road the remaining 8 miles, passing through a cute town of Mesilla with shops and vineyards, and made it to the south side Las Cruces. Some may call me a high roller, but I'm staying at the Comfort Suites tonight. I found a couple dumps like those that I have already stayed at, but for $66 (special discounted rate pro-charity Johnny gave me) including breakfast and access to a computer (no library hunt for me today) I couldn't pass it up. I had lunch at the Gadsden Purchase Grill & Saloon where most people polled could not identify the alpaca I had photographed earlier. Incidentally, the Gadsden Purchase was completed in 1854 and allowed the US to purchase for $10 million (equivalent to 10 gallons of gas today) the land from Mexico than now makes up the southern border from El Paso to California. I read. You read. We learn.

I went to St. Clair Winery & Bistro tonight down the road in Las Cruces. The charming Erin, bartender, set me up with a DH Descombes Syrah (her alltime favorite) while waiting for my Pasta Danielle. (Hi Erin.) More learnin': New Mexico is the oldest wine producing region in the country. And the St. Clair Winery is the largest winery in New Mexico. I may even stop at the one in Deming tomorrow since Erin gave me advance notice that I'm heading right for it.

A schvitz in the hottub tonight and an early start tomorrow is predicted.

start time: 6:47am
end time: 11:30am-ish
time on bike: 3:29:30
mileage: 45.35 miles
avg speed: 13.09 mph
max speed: 28.90 mph
calories: 3406
conditions: 75-85F, flat near 3,900 ft elevation once out of El Paso

No comments: