Thursday, June 12, 2008

Globe, AZ to Mesa, AZ (40 miles)

Wednesday June 11, 2008

Rise & Shine! I got up a little later than yesterday simply because I knew a good chunk of my ride today would be downhill. Awake at 4:30am, my first discovery was that the Super (duper) 8 motel in Globe has a mix of both working as well as non-working electrical outlets. I was greeted this morning by a GPS unit that warned “battery low” even though I had plugged it in last night. With this warning, I had time to at least get some charge in it to carry me to Mesa, AZ today. Lesson learned: Do not take an electrical outlet for granted. Sometimes they are just “holes”.

Next, I opened the tiny refrigerator that was in the room to find warm drinks inside. A refrigerator is a really nice feature since I can buy drinks the previous night and be ready to go in the morning, thus avoiding a stop for drinks only a couple minutes into that morning’s ride. Well, last night I noticed it wasn’t working, and the young Indian girl behind the desk came over to the room, turned a timer on the back of the unit (what refrigerator has a timer???) and said “There you go. Your drinks will be cold in the morning.” The fact she admitted to never having seen a refrigerator with a timer on it before should’ve alarmed me to suspicion, but she seemed to have such confidence, and I was tired, so I went with it. Lesson learned: Trust no refrigerator with a timer.

Taking my time in preparing this morning so the GPS unit could charge, I still made it on the road by 6am-ish. Last night, I had walked into downtown Globe, a two block area with a few shops. After enjoying a couple Happy Hour beers at a 40-year old establishment “Under the Palms” bar filled with salty residents, I wandered outside to find an old pickup truck used partly as a drawing card to an adjacent store. I walked in to find a store filled with cool unique items. I explained to the owner, who had relaxed in a chair up front, that I simply couldn’t afford the weight of the items since I was riding a bike across the country. So instead, we talked for a while and I parted remembering his genuine smile and good wishes for the remainder of my trip. Barely down the road this morning, the same potentially 1948 Ford pickup had just turned onto the highway heading my way. Soon I saw the same big grin and an arm waving out of the driver’s side window silently wishing me well as I headed out of town. “Cool”, I thought. “Only in a small town would you see the same guy twice within only 12 hours.”

They say that Globe, Arizona is an old copper mining town (and even older silver mining town), while Safford, Arizona is a new copper mining town. The neighboring towns of Claypool and Miami located nearby Globe, were started to support the mining industry as well. Glad to see flat to slightly downhill roads, I made good time clearing each of these places.

Once through Miami, I found the job of climbing was to begin. Miami lies at 3,400 feet elevation, while the road I was climbing lead to Top Of The World, Arizona near the top of Signal Mountain at 4,600 feet. This steep path to God would’ve intimidated me at the start in Florida, but now I sip some water, crank down into a low spinning gear, and settle in without any expectation for speed knowing that sooner or later I will get there.

On top of the pass, I got a text from Willie Clausing, Audrey’s mom. She had noticed the winds were expected to be bad and offered a ride to Mesa, Arizona. I knew there were two mountain passes on today’s docket, and I wanted to earn any ride in a car I accepted today. Having earned the downhill side of this mountain pass road, I continued biking while evaluating the winds and enjoying the scenery as I went, anticipating a climb to the next mountain pass ahead.

Just east of the town of Superior, I found myself at the entrance of Queen Creek Tunnel built in 1952, replacing the 1926 Claypool tunnel, which resembled little more than a single path blasted through the mountain itself. Queen Creek Tunnel offered two lanes coming my way, while one lane led the way toward Mesa. Glad to be on the uphill side of this ¼-mile long tunnel, I turned on my flashing headlamp and my flashing tail light and started inside. It made to be a fast and wild ride rather than the hazardous uphill effort coming from the other side. (Check out the video at http://video.aol.com/video-detail/queen-creek-tunnel/789441012 and notice there is no shoulder space for bicycles inside the tunnel.)

The ride through the tunnel was capped by a flight across the Salt River arched bridge. Seeing a truck behind me, I thought he was being kind maintaining a slow pace and distance behind me. It was only at the end of the day that I checked the GPS and found my max speed was 70 mph. He wasn’t holding back. I was simply flying.

In the town of Superior, Willie and I coordinated a pickup location at Florence Junction. That would enable me to reap the downhill rewards and provide her some time to get there. After meeting her on the side of the road, we secured the bike to her car and drove by the Superstition Mountains on the 30 mile drive back to Mesa. The Superstition Mountains are the mysterious home of Jacob Waltz’s “Lost Dutchman Mine”. For some good reading, check out… http://www.prairieghosts.com/dutchman.html

Back at the relaxing home of Randy & Willie Clausing, after doing some laundry and enjoying a
home-cooked meal, I got together with a former Tektronix colleague, Chad Eby. Sharing laughs about “old times” as well as laughs about what has occurred to both of us since then, we enjoyed a few beers at Four Peaks Brewery near ASU before pausing our anecdotes, agreeing to meet again soon, and calling it a night.

No comments: